HERE....THERE....NOWHERE....

Singing like a caged bird

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Here....


Last night it was raining buckets, as I waited at the bus
stop.  It was late and dreary as I had been late at the office again.  The air was filled with the rain and billowing masses of gray mist blew across the sky.  These were low flying clouds, barely able to clear the Corning tower of the Empire State Plaza...these gray ghosts seemed ominous as they were lit by the floodlights of the numerous government buildings.  The streets were deserted, the usual homeless and other assorted night dwellers were sheltering somewhere out of the rain.  My eyes were drawn to the glare and reflections of the occasional passing vehicle as well as the buildingalights.  This light gave a shiny overcoat to the dull black asphalt andaspeckled it with random diamonds all sparkly.


Just in front of me ran a rivulet in the gutter.  As the rain had been steady all day and heavy at times, this was a significant torrent .  I started thinking of this little temporary river as a study in
microcosm about the ways of water.  I began to observe closer and my mind began to contemplate the myriad things that my little feeder stream of the mighty Hudson could demonstrate.  Just in the span of a few short feet, I could see a model for flood plain management.  Where the newly fallen red and yellow and orange leaves had begun to gather and clog the waterway and try to defy the effects of gravity, small pools of languid water began to collect and to expand.  I then could picture Lilliputian fly fishermen casting into the head of these pools perhaps seeking the fall runs of salmon that no longer run the once mighty Hudson and its tributaries.  Then I noticed a beautiful yellow maple leaf with tinges of red.  It was perfectly outfitted for a run down the rapids. Its shape was slightly curled and cupped giving it a good buoyancy and it firm stem was curved gracefully into the torrent and acting as nice little rudder.  I could just picture two little beings, yelping with ecstasy as they rode the class IV rapids of the north branch of the Washington Avenue gutter and shot the gorge thru the wilderness of capitol park. Careful of those hydraulics, and watch out for the #10 bus carrying its few pitiful passengers to the Crossgates Mall.  Soon the little leaf was spun into a whirl and then righted its self as it passed into the darkness, down the hill past the State Capitol and City Hall making its way to the Hudson tidal estuary just like a little Half Moon of 300+ years ago.  


Soon the distinctive lights of the bus made its way slowly up the hill and its wheels came to rest right in the middle of my imagined hydraulic engineering project and snapped my mind back to reality.  I got on the bus realizing neither the driver nor any of the  passengers had nary an inkling of the wonders of miniature white water rafting.  In only a month or two my minds imagination will replace the river runners with bobsledders and ski jumpers and down hill racers.


There....


Another wonderful story from Bill Moyer's NOW.  This program really speaks to my ideology.  Last Fridays episode had a segment on Joseph C. Hough from the Union Theological Seminary.  His bio
should impress the true believer type of Christian who think they know all the
answers. For all of those people out there who never quite know how to combat the spewings of the Christian right wing zealots.....the Rev. Hough sure passed out some
ammunition
for a more fair and balanced approach to reality and to religious teachings and morality.  This is about the best words I have heard from a bible toting pastor since MLK.

When I told a friend of this program, she told me to check out Forrest Church. Sure glad I listened.  I now have some sermons to read over the next few days/weeks.  I like what I have read so far.  Will also have to check out his books.


Nowhere....


Julie Krone rode Funny Cide in the Breeder's Cup
"Classic" for the 3 year old championship. Coming off a 3 month
lay-off and the flu, the pride of Saratoga came in next to last.  Saratoga still loves its wonderful horse , the only NY bred to win the Kentucky Derby and his improbable owners. 



4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home