HERE....THERE....NOWHERE....

Singing like a caged bird

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Here....

Yippeee, going on a field trip today. Feel like a kid in elementary school. No, not the parish school mentioned below...rather the public school with the ever so nice Mrs. Teverbault. My colleagues and I are getting a tutorial on the NY State Library. Its a fun place, really!!!! Their are so many treasures in its research collection. The archival collection of NY newpapers and other documents is overwhelming. But today we get the latest on the on-line capabilitities. But it still feels like going on a field trip...no phones, no faxes, no emails, no urgents.......just time to get an update and soak in some of the history of the Empire state. Since my colleagues, the librarians and I are all actually part of the same agency, the NYS Education Department, I am expecting a very cordial reception. And the librarians aren't the stereotypical curmudgeons that pop into your mind. Make sure you scroll down to "The Library". Don't you just love Sarah Stewart's books, so nicely illustrated by David Small? Another favorite by Stewart is "The Money Tree", I think this story is Sarah's yin to Martha's yang. Can't you just picture Martha interacting with s bunch of yuppie designer kids!

School memories are definitley in the head today and it truly is a day of returning to the thrilling days of yesteryear. The staff were getting our annual flu shots today. Felt like going to the school nurse, jokin' and foolin' in line, the false bravado of the males, checking out the cute nurse. Only thing that was missing was a lollipop at the end of the ordeal.

There....

I had an amazing episode of the visual kind, this one man-made. I went to see the film, "Magdalene Sisters". This was one of the most disturbing films I have seen in recent years. I put it in the class dark films such as "Schindlers List" ,"The Red Cherry", "The Mission" and "Black Robe". I think in part it was disturbing to me because I could see and feel the searing image of my chief nemesis, my first grade teacher, in the face of Sister Bridget. She, Sister Mary Zita, terrified me so badly I used to pee in my pants(literally). This film reinforces why I no longer go thru the rituals of my childhood brainwashing. I do admit saying a few Hail Mary's when in extreme circumstances...sort of my hedge fund of spiritual investment!!!!! And do attend the obligatory catholic weddings and funerals of my family. I reacted to this film much the same way I reacted to the book "Angela's Ashes". First a feeling of how this hits close to home, and then feeling shame to be an American of Irish catholic heritage. But then that subsides and I realize the ordeal strengthens my connection to my roots. In a more mature and realistic way. I never was one for the green bowler hats, the green beer, and the kiss me I'm Irish hokum that is so prevalent in the northeast of the USA. And my travels in Ireland skipped the tourists traps and truly was more about being among the people...especially in the rural areas. But I do feel there is a connection to its people and their homeland......

Nowhere....

Where is Bill Lee when Red Sox nation needs a dose of him? My all time favorite ball player, (who else would a southpaw, geek, zen reading, recovering catholic, lefty idolize as the epitome of the art of baseball?) has come to our rescue. The "Spaceman" returns in glory.

Fifi - Fran├žoise Demulder, is in need. Perhaps you can help, and purchase some fine photography.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home