HERE....THERE....NOWHERE....

Singing like a caged bird

Thursday, April 08, 2004

Here....



Jen Chapin, daughter of Harry Chapin, has a new album out, Linger. I liked her dad's activism as well as his storytelling style of music like this or this or this. And she is following her dad's activist footsteps. Inner city schoolteacher's gotta have my respect. Kinda like her music too.

There....


Today is the birthday of William Wordsworth. Unlike here, the spring in the UK is abloomin. When I read this poem I think of the fields of daff's in Lancashire or the Pembrokeshire coast surrounding the St. David's cathedral.

DAFFODILS

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

Nowhere....


Nowhere lady, Condi Rice, is nowhere to be found apologizing for the failure of the government to protect its citizens. Nowhere do I have any faith in her motives. Hell Chevron oil even named an oil tanker after her. Now for cruel treatment of such an upstanding member of Dubya's cabinet...check out Oliphants take on dear Condi.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home